Thursday, September 25, 2008

Venn Diagrams




There’s a part of me that’s a total geek. I know those of you who know me and think I’m all (cough cough) coolness and style will find that hard to believe, but it’s true. I was thumbing through one of my old thrift store books last night…a geometry textbook from 1969 to be exact…looking for cool pages to paint & collage on, when a particular diagram leaped off the page at me. It was a Venn diagram, with a little “x” and a little “u”, with the u being the square representing the whole and the x being a circle, a part of the whole, and automatically I knew the x would become the x in coexist, and that u = the universe, and this diagram is just a model of all us humans living in the universe…well, the ones on this planet anyway, but I don’t want to go off on that tangent right now. I mean, that big square in this diagram that represents the Universe could have been filled with all sorts of circles showing different types of humans, but they all would still intersect with the square, the Universe, and some may intersect with each other…those circles in the big square could be made up of Blacks, Whites, Orientals, Hispanics, gays, trannies, whores, saints, jesus freaks, tattooed people, biker chics, nuns, artists, lawyers, trailer trash, presidents, millionaires, democrats, republicans…you get the point…but they are all part of the square, no matter what circle they happen to be in. They are all part of the divine Universe, and they are all part of each other! So I had to make a pendant out of this little diagram. It’s plain and simple-looking, but that’s the beauty of it. The simplicity represents, to me, the simple concept of coexisting. You don’t have to agree with those that are different from you. You don’t have to like them or approve of them either. But they deserve the same rights and privileges and respect that you deserve. They are part of the divine just like you are. We are all in that square.

1 comment:

Laume said...

I totally understand your line of reasoning. I thought I was the only one who sees something BIG in something small. Well, maybe not the ONLY one, but you know what I mean. My brain sometimes makes odd associations that I don't expect others to understand.

The Eve of 51

Just writing the title made me burst into tears.  Not for growing older...I'm thankful for every day in this lifetime.  Not for physical...